I was recently telling somebody about my pregnancy with Hailey and Hannah. I couldn't remember some of the statistics but I came across this nice little list of facts about monoamniotic twins. Just thought I would share. By the way, trying to get a little better at keeping the blog up to date/current!
Monoamniotic factoids
*Monoamniotic twins are always identical
*Monoamniotic twins are the result of a late splitting egg; one that split around 8-12 days after fertilization
*Monoamniotic twins only occur in 1% of twins
*Monoamniotic twins share a placenta and amniotic sac which means they have skin to skin contact
*Monoamniotic twins are considered extremely high risk because of the risk of cord compression leading to fetal death as a result of umbilical cord entanglement
*Monoamniotic twins are always delivered by C-Section
*Monoamniotic twins are usually delivered between 32-34 weeks gestation because the risks of staying in utero are greater than the risks associated with a premature birth
*75% of monoamniotic twins are girls
*inpatient monitoring at viability yeilds the greatest success rates
No comments:
Post a Comment